By Hamish McNeilly, 29 July 2015

Tributes are flowing for the teenage girl killed in a car crash in Dunedin.

The 18-year-old died in Dunedin Hospital, after a two-car crash at the intersection of Hope and Stafford streets, on Wednesday about 2.20am.

Police were expected to name the deceased once next of kin had been notified.

Some family and friends have posted online tributes on her Facebook page and a tributes page.

“Rest in paradise beautiful,” said one. “Forever 18,” said another.

“Why did this cruel world have to take you so soon,” said another post.

The teenager was a passenger in a Ford Laser that failed to give way on Hope St and crashed into a Ford Courier ute being driven down Stafford St.

Neighbours reported hearing a loud noise from the impact and “absolute carnage” at the scene, one resident said.

The teenager, one of six occupants of the vehicle, was helped out of the vehicle and revived at the scene before she was taken to hospital.

She died shortly after arrival.

The driver of the Laser, who fled the scene, was later located by police.

The male driver of the ute was shaken but uninjured.

Another occupant of the Ford Laser suffered serious injuries, while four had moderate injuries. Police are yet to speak to some of the passengers.

A police spokesman confirmed officers were investigating a petrol drive-off in the north Dunedin area.

“However, we cannot yet confirm whether the occupants of the vehicle or the vehicle itself was also involved in the drive off.”

Police were not in a position to answer questions relating to the vehicle’s ownership and whether it was warranted and registered.

“Checks on the vehicle will be done as part of the crash investigation, which is still under way,” the spokesman said.

Police were yet to determine if the person who died was wearing a seatbelt at the time of the crash.

The spokesman would not comment on whether the driver, who had been breath tested, had been drinking.

It was too early to comment on possible charges, he said.

The scene was cordoned off for most of Wednesday morning but was reopened by noon.

Extracted in full from