Drew Creighton, 11 April 2016

An electrician has cut free a “blue” man he found pinned between a mower and a beam at a Brisbane service station.

The man was taken to hospital in a stable condition after becoming trapped on Monday morning.

The man, in his mid 20s, was driving the mower when he became pinned after the machine crashed into a fence that backed onto a train line at Deagon Caltex, in Brisbane’s north.

Sebastian Caltabiano pulled into the service station, pulled around the back and noticed the mower up against the fence.

Mr Caltabiano said it looked “a bit odd” and went to look at what was going on.

“I went over to have a bit of a look and noticed there was a guy pinned behind a big metal beam,” Mr Caltabiano said.

“He had his chest pretty well crushed he was going blue, he couldn’t breathe, he was struggling so I grabbed another guy and we tried to pull the mower out of the way to free him up, but it wasn’t working.

“We pulled the snatch strap off of my ute and strapped it onto the mower to pull him out, but we couldn’t pull him out.”

Luckily for the pinned driver, Mr Caltabiano was an electrician and had an electrical saw in the back of his ute.

“I grabbed a reciprocating saw out of my tool box and cut the steel beam out of the way and freed him out.

“Once we cut him out he started to be able to breathe again, but he was floppy and unconscious so we supported him up and waited for the emergency services to arrive.”

The incident happened out of sight and there were no cameras on the area.

“Me and the other guy were both freaking out, he was going white and blue and wasn’t really talking,” Mr Caltabiano said.

“We were pretty well under the understanding he was going to die, we thought there was nothing we could do.

“It was pretty lucky, if I hadn’t driven around the back of the service station, he wouldn’t be here.”

Queensland Ambulance Service operations supervisor Peter Batt was on the scene for the ambulance transportation and said the injured man’s condition had since improved and appeared “to be out of danger”.

“The gentleman was in quite a dangerous situation, to the point where he was about to lose consciousness,” Mr Batt said.

“These guys absolutely saved his life, no questions asked.

“He had gone blue and stopped breathing as they were cutting him out, he had only a few minutes before he was not with us any longer.”

Extracted in full from the Brisbane Times.