UPDATE 1.15pm: A GAS leak at a North Mackay service station is believed to have been caused by a soft drink machine.

Senior Sergeant Dave Parnell said investigations by the fire crews had found the gas leak had erupted from a drink machine.

While he did not believe the gas was toxic at this stage, he said it could become toxic when mixed with other gases.

An exclusion zone remained in place around the North Mackay Coles Express service station, as emergency services waited for an operator from the drink company to repair the issue.

EARLIER: EMERGENCY services are responding to reports of a gas leak at a North Mackay service station.

A Queensland Fire and Emergency Service spokesman said an attendant from the Coles Express Service Station on the Bruce Highway, North Mackay, called in to report an alarm had sounded, signalling a gas leak.

Three fire crews were sent to the scene, and the station evacuated.

Extracted from Whitsunday Times.