Two teenage boys have been arrested after allegedly stabbing a service station employee to death during a violent crime spree during which they are also accused of assaulting three other men in random attacks.

The 29-year-old man was stabbed multiple times at the Caltex service station on Bungendore Road in Queanbeyan, near the NSW-ACT border, on Thursday just before midnight.

The man’s colleague arrived at the service station to start his midnight shift, and found the victim lying on the floor and the front windows smashed.

The injured man could not be revived and died at the scene.

Police allege two boys, aged 15 and 16, stabbed the service station employee during a violent and “horrific” rampage in the Queanbeyan area overnight.

The boys are also accused of bashing a man with a tyre iron during a home invasion and bashing a man in a park with a beer bottle, before stabbing another man in the stomach on Southwell Place in Queanbeyan about 6.20am.

That stabbing victim has been taken to Canberra Hospital in a serious but stable condition, Superintendent Rod Smith, from the Monaro Local Area Command, said.

A witness to the second stabbing told police the offenders escaped in a silver Ford Falcon.

Soon after, police began chasing the vehicle, which crossed from Queanbeyan into the ACT.

“That pursuit finished shortly after, with both of those offenders being arrested without incident,” Superintendent Smith said.

“They’re currently being taken to the watchhouse in the ACT, and we’re in the process of issuing warrants, and we will be seeking their extradition back to NSW where obviously our investigations will continue into these matters.”

He described the night’s events as “horrific”.

“It doesn’t need to be said, but it doesn’t get more serious than this,” he said.

“It’s an absolutely horrific series of events, and we’d just like to reassure everybody that there are two people that we believe are involved, and both of those people are currently in custody.”

Officers from Monaro Local Area Command established a crime scene at the service station, which is being forensically examined.

Superintendent Smith said the service station’s front doors had locked during the incident, trapping the two alleged offenders inside.

The alleged offenders had to “smash their way out” of the front windows to escape, he said.

The man who found his colleague with fatal injuries was “obviously very shaken”, he said.

Superintendent Smith said police were not aware of any relationship between the boys and the victims, and he could not say whether the boys were suspected of being under the influence of any drugs or alcohol when they were arrested.

Police are also investigating whether the boys have any link to another attempted robbery overnight at Oaks Estate in the ACT.

Queanbeyan residents quickly took to social media to share their distress at the news of the service station employee’s death.

“I used to go here all the time, the staff were all really wonderful,” a local said.

“They are genuine and ask how your day is going. My thoughts are with them and their family.”

Another added: “This is so incredibly sad. They are the nicest people who work there and that is heartbreaking for all of them and the poor family who don’t have their loved one.”

Extracted from SMH.