N electrical fault in a chiller unit is believed to have caused a fire which destroyed a Richmond petrol station.

The major fire at the Nisa shop and Harvest Energy fuel station happened on Friday, August 14, starting at around 2.30pm and taking several hours to extinguish.

At its height, 10 appliances, an aerial ladder platform and more than 50 firefighters helped to tackle the blaze.

North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service have now confirmed that the cause was an electrical fault in a chiller unit in a store room.

Staff at the scene of the fire on August 14 told local residents they believed the fridge was responsible, while police said it had started in a store room.

A spokesperson for North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue said: “The cause is believed to have been an electrical fault in a chiller unit in a store room.”

The Harvest Energy fuel station was completely gutted by the fire, and what was left of the building has been demolished and will have to be rebuilt.

Victoria Road, between the mini roundabout at the junction of Reeth Road and the turn-off to Rosemary Lane, has been closed since the blaze to allow for the demolition of the building and safe removal of asbestos.The road reopened on Friday.

Residents living around the site were evacuated to Richmond School.

Extracted in full from: https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/18684280.cause-richmond-petrol-station-fire-identified/

SHARE THIS ARTICLE: