A brute who robbed a Paisley filling station armed with a wooden furniture leg has been caged for 22 months.

Christopher Gordon, 34, smashed his way through a glass door and stole cigarettes and alcohol, forcing a staff member to flee to safety.

He was nabbed after leaving his bank card at the Shell petrol garage in Lonend.

He appeared for sentencing at Paisley Sheriff Court yesterday after pleading guilty to the robbery and he was told that a prison stretch was the only appropriate punishment.

Sheriff Tom McCartney told him: “The nature of this crime is such that a prison sentence has to be imposed.

“Therefore, the sentence I impose is one of 22 months, reduced from 28 months, to take account of your plea of guilty.”

The sheriff said that four months of the stretch was because Gordon was out on bail at the time of the robbery.

Gordon admitted responsibility for carrying out the raid at around 4am on October 18 last year when he visited the filling station armed with the wooden furniture leg.

He had attempted to pay for items at the counter but flipped out at member of staff Stephen McGuire when his bank card was declined.

Procurator fiscal depute David McDonald said: “The accused attempted to pay for the items and he was informed that his payment had been declined.

“He tried again to no avail and was advised to use the chip and pin facility.

“He placed his card in the card holder and he then immediately became aggressive.

“The accused shouted ‘do you think I’m a f*****g idiot?’ and smashed the card machine on the ground.”

He produced a wooden furniture leg from his clothing and began angrily smashing at the glass door, causing the staff member to press the panic button and flee to the safe room.

He smashed his way through the door and made his way into the petrol station where he stole tobacco, an energy drink and MD 20/20 fortified wine.

The court heard when cops arrived they discovered the bank card still within the electronic card reader that had been smashed on the ground.

He was traced later that day at a nearby hotel on New Sneddon Street.

He pleaded guilty to robbery and theft.https://get-latest.convrse.media/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.dailyrecord.co.uk%2Fnews%2Flocal-news%2Fpetrol-station-raider-who-left-23487911&cre=bottom&cip=24&view=web

Defence agent David Nicholson said his client had been struggling with a number of personal difficulties which had caused him to “snap” when his payment was declined.

He explained: “He accepts full culpability for this and he has been remanded in custody since October 19.

“He is now sober and, in hindsight, he is extremely sorry for his conduct.

“He recognises the position he is in due to the nature of the charge.”

Gordon was told his 22-month stretch will be back dated to October 19 from when he was first remanded.

Extracted in full from: https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/local-news/petrol-station-raider-who-left-23487911