A suspected drone attack by Yemen’s Houthi rebels near Abu Dhabi has caused three fuel trucks to explode, killing three people.
- Yemen’s Houthi rebels claimed they were behind an attack targeting the United Arab Emirates
- There was a minor fire at the Abu Dhabi International Airport
- The UAE has been at war in Yemen since early 2015
Police in the United Arab Emirates identified the dead as two Indian nationals and one Pakistani.
Three transport tankers caught fire at an oil tanker facility, while another fire was sparked at an extension of Abu Dhabi International Airport.
Police said that while an investigation was underway, preliminary findings indicated there were small flying objects, possibly belonging to drones, that fell in the two areas and may have caused the explosion and fire.
They said there was no significant damage from the incidents.
Meanwhile, Yemen’s Houthi rebels claimed they were behind an attack targeting the United Arab Emirates on Monday, without immediately elaborating.
The Iranian-backed Houthis have claimed several attacks that Emirati officials later denied took place.
The airport fire in Abu Dhabi was described by police as “minor”.
Three killed in fuel truck blast near Abu Dhabi, as Yemen’s Houthi rebels claim responsibility – ABC News
Etihad Airways, which operates from the airport, said “precautionary measures resulted in a short disruption for a small number of flights” and that airport operations have returned to normal.
The incident comes as Yemen’s war rages on and as an Emirati-flagged vessel was recently captured by the Houthis.
Although the UAE has largely withdrawn its own forces from the conflict tearing apart the Arab world’s poorest nation, it is still actively engaged in Yemen and supports local militias there fighting the Houthis.
The UAE has been at war in Yemen since early 2015, and was a key member of the Saudi-led coalition that launched attacks against the Houthis after the group overran the capital of Yemen and ousted the internationally backed government from power.
The Houthis have used bomb-laden drones to launch crude and imprecise attacks aimed at Saudi Arabia and the UAE over the course of the six-year war.
Though there have been civilian deaths in Saudi Arabia from some of these attacks, the overwhelming number of civilian deaths in the conflict have been in Yemen.
The war has killed 130,000 people in Yemen — both civilians and fighters — and has exacerbated hunger and famine across the impoverished country.
The Houthis have come under pressure in recent weeks and are suffering heavy losses as Yemeni forces, allied and backed by the UAE, have pushed back the rebels in key southern and central provinces of the country, dashing Houthi efforts to complete their control of the entire northern half of Yemen.
Yemen’s government-aligned forces reclaimed the entire southern province of Shabwa from the Houthis earlier this month and made advances in nearby Marib province.
They were aided by the UAE-backed Giants Brigades and had help from Saudi airstrikes.
Extracted in full from: Three killed in fuel truck blast near Abu Dhabi, as Yemen’s Houthi rebels claim responsibility – ABC News