One man has been shot by police and another charged after a wild incident in Sydney’s west in which police were allegedly rammed with a car, before the injured driver went on a chase across the city.

Police stopped a green Ford Falcon on Elliot Ave in Erskineville about 10am after noticing it had been reported stolen from West Pennant Hills earlier this month.

During the stop police allege the 38-year-old male passenger of the car got out and fled on foot.

The passenger led police on a brief foot chase before being arrested and searched. He was taken to Mascot Police Station, where he was charged with possession of methylamphetamine, cash suspected of being stolen and an unrelated offence.

While he was allegedly on the run the Ford was allegedly driven at a police officer, who discharged their firearm.

Sources said the driver was shot twice and the officer hit by the car. Police are continuing to investigate the incident and it is not yet clear whether the gun was discharged deliberately, or accidentally as the officer attempted to avoid the car.

The man then allegedly fled the scene in his car, driving more than 20 minutes from Erskineville to Croydon.

A short time late police who had been tracking the car located it at Ampol Service Station on the Hume Highway.

The 36 year-old was taken to hospital. Picture: TNV

The 36-year-old driver was treated for gunshot wounds at the scene by paramedics, before being taken to Royal Prince Alfred hospital under police guard.

He remains in a stable condition and is expected to make a recovery.

Two crime scenes were established and a critical incident declared, with officers cordoning off the green Ford Falcon with traffic cones.

A team from Sydney City Police Area Command is investigating all circumstances surrounding the incident, including interviewing the officer.

That investigation will then be subject to an independent review.

Extracted in full from: Man shot, second arrested over stolen car in Croydon | NT News