Worksafe is investigating after an eastern Victorian teenager suffered serious burns to his face and hands when a fuel drum caught fire in his classroom on Wednesday.

The boy was airlifted to the Royal Children’s Hospital in Melbourne after the fuel drum was ignited in his year 10 automotive class at Bairnsdale Secondary College.

Bairnsdale Secondary College principal Trudie Nagle told the ABC the classroom was set up for students to learn about small engines and the fuel drum was adequately stored, but she could not give details of how the fuel caught fire.

“The fire was out within 25 seconds but of course those 25 seconds have had a horrendous impact on one of our families,” she said.

“He was certainly a very unwell young man.”

Emergency services were called to the school with CFA units attending.

Staff and students extinguished the fire before they arrived.

Paramedics and police also attended the scene.

“The whole incident was caught on our cameras so we have very clear information about what happened,” Ms Nagle said.

Worksafe officials were onsite and investigating the circumstances surrounding the incident.

Extracted in full from: Bairnsdale Secondary College student injured in fuel drum explosion – ABC News

SHARE THIS ARTICLE: