Shell has repurposed one of its historic service stations in Germany to cater to electric vehicles (EV). The bold and futuristic 1960s architecture of Erlenstegenstrasse’s petrol station in Nuremberg has been given a second life thanks to the Recharge brand.
Drivers can now charge their EVs under the curved, listed prestressed concrete roof from 1958. As a national industrial monument and the only one of its kind in the whole of Bavaria, the site will no longer offer petrol or diesel. It will now focus exclusively on new mobility.
A total of four Shell Recharge ultra-fast charging stations with 8 charging points offer a maximum output of up to 300 kW and up to 150 kW for simultaneous charging. Two of these are located directly under the historic roof.
In a small store under the roof, coffee and drinks vending machines will be installed to make the charging time more pleasant.
The service station itself was originally built in 1958 by the California-Texas Oil Company Caltex, with a design that dates back to 1956 by the Frankfurt architect Willy H. Weisensee.
Caltex originally planned to build 4,000 filling stations of this type but by the end of the 1960s, there were only over 800 Caltex sites in operation throughout Germany. The filling station was taken over by DEA and later reflagged to Shell.
Extracted in full from: https://www.petrolplaza.com/news/34206