ACAPMA and Convenience World are proud to announce the applications for the 2024 Australian Fuel and Convenience Awards (AFCAs) are now open.
These awards are designed to recognise Fuel & Convenience businesses (Retailers and Suppliers) and Fuel Supply businesses (Distributors and Wholesalers) that are making tangible contributions to the quality and future viability of the fuel and convenience industry in Australia.
The Awards are framed around operational excellence in 5 key areas:
- Compliance excellence: Demonstrating a wholesale commitment to wage, public safety and environmental protection via active compliance practices.
- Creating safe and healthy workplaces: Implementing actions that are specifically focussed on maintaining the safety, well-being and career development of the people that work within the business.
- Championing innovation: Demonstrating leadership in business innovation in a way that delivers tangible benefits for customers and staff.
- Delivering sustainable outcomes: Taking action to improve the environmental performance of their business (and the wider industry) in an economically sustainable manner.
- Community Spirit: Demonstrating exceptional leadership and support at a community level.
With more than 61,000 Australians employed throughout our industry, and estimated industry turnover of $101b in FY23, the ‘End stream’ of the Australian fuel industry plays a vital role in supporting the transport needs of Australian business, industry, and households.
“We firmly believe that our essential industry – and all of the businesses and people working within it – are worth acknowledging for the role it plays in keeping the wheels of the Australian economy turning”, said ACAPMA CEO Mark McKenzie.
“While complaining about fuel prices has become a bit of a national pastime, the Australian community knows that our industry is always there to provide the fuel they need, when and where they need it”, added Mark.
“And this contribution has been most evident during natural disasters over recent years, with our local businesses being lauded as the ‘Last to Close and First to Open” at times of greatest community need”, said Mark.
These industry Excellence Awards were run for the first time in 2023. Applications were assessed by a panel of judges in a comprehensive two-stage process. These judges that are completely independent from the fuel industry as well as being leaders and exemplars of excellence in their own industries.
The winners of the 2023 Awards were announced at the Asia Pacific Fuel Industry Forum Gala Dinner held at the Brisbane Convention Centre on Wednesday 6 September 2023.
The 2023 winners were as follows:
- 2023 Marg Taylor Award for Community Spirit (Winner): North Coast Petroleum
- 2023 Marg Taylor Award for Community Spirit (Highly Commended): Tasco Petroleum
- 2023 Small Retailer of the Year: Bennetts Petroleum
- 2023 Large Retailer of the Year: Bowser Bean/Vantage Fuels
- 2023 Small Distributor of the Year: Adelaide Fuels
- 2023 Large Distributor of the Year: Tasco Petroleum
- 2023 Shop Supplier of the Year: The Distributors
Further information about the winners, including some photos from the 2023 event can be viewed at: AFC Awards 2023 – 2024 APFI Forum.
And now we turn our attention to the 2024 Awards process as we seek to do it all over again – culminating in the presentation of the Awards at the APFI Forum Gala Dinner in Brisbane on Wednesday 25 September 2024, said ACAPMA CEO Mark McKenzie.
Nominations are now being sought from Australian fuel industry business for the following Award Categories:
- Small Retailer of the Year
- Large Retailer of the Year
- Small Distributor of the Year
- Large Distributor of the Year
- Equipment Supplier of the year
- Shop supplier of the year
- Community Spirit Champion
The timeline for the 2024 Awards process is as follows:
- Stage 1 (Applications) – Open between 15 December 2023 and 3 May 2024
- Stage 2 (Stage 1 Judging)– 6 May to 31 May 2024
- Stage 3 (Validation and finalists list)– 3 June 2024 to 2 August 2024
- Stage 4 (Finalists Announced) – August Edition of Convenience World Magazine
- Stage 5 (APFIF Gala Dinner and Award Presentation)– 24 September 2023
“While we recognise the different networks and organisations that have their own awards the 2024 Australian Fuel and Convenience Awards seek to recognise those businesses that are the best examples of the key values that are vital to the success of our industry – both now and into the future”, said Mark.
Further information about the Award criteria and judging process can be found at AFC Awards – 2024 APFI Forum.
Applications are open to all businesses operating in the Australian Fuel Industry. The business is not required to be a member of ACAPMA or a subscriber to Convenience World Magazine to apply.